Why is the Rocky Horror Picture Show Still so Popular?

by Chris Vegvary

For the life of me, I can’t understand what’s so appealing about The Rocky Horror Picture Show. People dress up like the characters from the film and go out and have these events where they watch the movie, talk along with it, sing, and dance. Is it really that powerful?

Whenever I think of that movie, the game Maniac Mansion comes to mind (those of you who have played the game may be able to see the correlation between the game’s plot and the film’s plot). In The Rocky Horror Picture Show, a couple of “squares” who show up to a castle when their ride breaks down, and from there, things just get weird.  We’re introduced to a cast of characters that I can definitely say is like no other, including the transvestite mad doctor, Frank N. Furter, who is played by Tim Curry. I can’t really describe the plot any further without confusing myself all to hell, so I’m going to assume you’ve seen it.

While I personally just “don’t get it,” there appear to be plenty of people out there that do, and they’re making the film culturally important. It’s preserved now in the US National Film Registry because it had such an impact on people. It’s been in theaters longer than any other movie in the history of movies. So while I still can’t say I like the film, I do like the plot behind it, and while I’ll never go to a theater dressed up as a character from this movie (or any other movie), I may decide to watch it again soon and maybe I’ll find a new appreciation for it.

But you, you clearly have a love for all things Rocky Horror, and that’s what this paragraph is all about. If you plan on dressing up for your next adventure to The Rocky Horror Picture Show, you’re going to need a good costume, right? Then follow the link and be overjoyed.

1 comment:

  1. I know the writer said he doesn't get it, but many of us do. We are mostly celebrating a VERY bad movie. We're also proving that when people stick together, we can make ANYTHING happen! We even made one of the most horrible movies ever made the longest running movie of all time. I loved going and participating. It was a blast!

    ReplyDelete