What’s the Deal With “See No Evil 2”?

by Chris Vegvary

If you’re like me, you don’t see a lot of trailers for WWE films that make me go “Wow, I sure want to see that movie.” I just don’t have the energy to sit through certain films that are only vehicles for WWE superstars to show off their acting chops, like The Marine trilogy, for instance. There are exceptions to that, of course, with the most recent one being the film No One Lives. I’m not too into the WWE action films, but when they try their hand at horror, I like to see what they can do. Another example of this would be with the 2006 film See No Evil, starring WWE superstar Kane.

In the film, Kane plays the murderous psychopath, Jacob Goodnight. Whenever he kills someone, he takes his victims eyes (because he’s freaking sick, that’s why), and a whole lot of potential victims show up to clean up the abandoned hotel where he is staying. Unfortunately for the teens cleaning the place, Mr. Goodnight doesn’t like strangers, and he kills most of them one by one. Here’s where I noticed the start of a strange trend in horror movies: the guy playing the “jerk” in the film is the one who turns out to be the hero in the end. I first noticed this in the movie Hostel, where Jay Hernandez’s character was the one to survive instead of Derek Richardson’s character.

At the end of the film See No Evil, Jacob Goodnight is impaled through the eye with a pipe and tossed off a building, and through the magic of x-ray vision, we see that he is undoubtedly killed by the fall. Not only that, but then a dog comes in and takes a leak in his eye socket. But evil never dies, you know that. Just take a look at Freddy Krueger if you don’t believe me. So, in the spirit of that, word is that See No Evil 2 is being worked on right now, which will see the return of Jacob Goodnight. I’m happy for Kane, he seems to really like the character and I know he was hoping to get another chance to play him. While I don’t know anything about the plot at this point, I think it’s safe to say that Jacob Goodnight is going to be more like Jason after Friday the 13th Part 4, where he is no longer human and is fully one of the undead (yet not a zombie—more like a rotting hulk).


It’s nice to see WWE films branching off in different directions. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that their ambitions for their horror-based film properties go way farther than the ones they have for their action movies, whether that’s intentional or not. One thing’s for sure, I’d like to see other WWE superstars, like maybe John Cena or The Miz, try their hand at horror movie roles in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment